Larry-Boy & the Fib from Outer Space! is the eighth episode of VeggieTales and the first Larry-Boy episode. In April 11, 1997 by Word Entertainment, In February 16, 1999 by Lyrick Studios on VHS.
Bob and Larry are seen on the countertop asking who has a question for today's episode. Larry, very excitedly, tells Bob that he received an e-mail from a kid named Ezzio Vieti in Hackensack, New Jersey. He says that he did something that he know he wasn't supposed to do and his friends tell him to lie about what he'd done so he won't get in trouble. Bob then asks if there are any stories on the topic of lying. Larry, very psyched, tells Bob that he has the whole situation under control and tells Ezzio to watch "Larry-Boy! And the Fib from Outer Space!" Larry then runs off the countertop, leaving Bob behind as the lights turn off.
The story begins in the great city of Bumblyburg. Percy and Lil' Pea are walking home from the local movie theater after watching "Invasion of the Cow Snatchers." As they walk down the sidewalk, Percy looks up in the sky and sees a falling object. Meanwhile, at the Bumblyburg science lab, Jimmy Gourd is frustrated working at the lab for two years and not seeing one single alien. As Jimmy complains, Jerry watches a satellite image of the falling object and as Jimmy comes overt to see the image, both gourds are shaking in fear. They then push a button that activates a signal for Bumblyburg's own superhero... Larry-Boy! Meanwhile at a mansion, a butler named Alfred notices the signal and rushes on the roof to alert someone about the situation. As the figure accidentally knocks over Alfred, the figure, who turns out to be none other than Larry-Boy, notices the signal and runs away leaving Alfred. Larry-Boy heads into town in his high-powered vehicle, the Larry-mobile, and rides off into the night. As he passes by a neighborhood, the falling object falls into the neighborhood. The falling object turns out to be a small little blue creature about the size of a baseball with lumps all over him and an antennae. He then hops on over to a nearby house.
The next morning, Junior and Laura are having a tea party with Junior's teddy bear Mr. Snuggly at Junior's house. In need of another plate for the bear, Junior suggests getting his dad's collectible bowling plate on top of the nearby shelf. Laura tells Junior that they should get another plate but Junior says that Mr. Snuggly deserves the plate. As Junior climbs the shelf, the shelf begins to fall but he manages to get it back into place but does not manage to catch the falling plate. Laura runs on home leaving Junior to figure out what to do. Meanwhile, a voice tells Junior on what to do. The voice turns out to be the little blue creature from last night. He reveals that his name if Fibrilious Mimoms, or Fib for short. He tells Junior to come up with a lie to tell to his dad about his plate so that he won't get in trouble. As soon as Junior's dad comes home and witnesses his broken plate, Junior (through son), tells him that Laura broke the plate with her new apple chopper. Junior's dad buys Junior's story and goes to call Laura's family about what happened. Fib, now grown a bit bigger, comes out to congratulate Junior on his lie and they all go out into town to have fun.
Back in Bumblyburg, Larry-Boy has found no luck finding the fallen object and is ready to give up and go home. He passes by Junior and Fib. As Junior and Fib walk down the street, Percy Pea comes to Junior and Fib walks off to hide. Percy tells Junior that Laura got in trouble for breaking the bowling plate and she says that she didn't break it but Junior did. As Percy asks Junior who's telling the truth, Junior (through song again) tells that it was her brother Lenny that broke by feeding the plate to his pet crocodile. Percy buys the story and walks off. Fib comes looking even bigger with legs grown. Later that day, Laura, Lenny and Percy confront Junior and enraged about Junior's lies and demand the truth out of him. Junior says that the plate broke by cows whose brains were swapped by alien brains. Percy, who knows that Junior got the lie from a movie that he saw the night before, gets even more enraged while the ground begins to shake from giant footprints. The foot prints belong to Fib, who is now a 50 foot tall monster with arms. He grabs Junior and begins to go on a rampage around the city.
Back at the Larry-mansion, Larry-Boy, who is out of costume, is playing a game of Candyland with his butler Alfred and getting beat by him. As Larry-Boy looks out the window, he witnesses the city in great peril with the the Larry-singnal calling him. He quits his game with Alfred and heads out to stop the situation. Back in the city, Fib continues his destruction as Junior asks why he is causing so much trouble. He says because of all of his lies, he is able to be big and cause trouble while he is in his clutches. As Larry-Boy drives on the scene and demands Fib to release Junior, Fib heads his way to the Bumblyburg water tower. Alfred then calls in and tells Larry that the Larry-moblie has new buttons that hold new capabilities, but don't have any labels to tell what they do. As Larry-Boy drives in high-speed to the water tower, Alfred tells Larry-Boy to press two buttons, but all they do is activate the vehicles wipers and sound the horn. As Larry-Boy is about to hit the tower, he presses another button which turns the Larry-mobile into a plane.
- Larry the Cucumber
- Bob the Tomato
- Percy Pea
- Lil' Pea
- The Grapes of Warth/Math:
- Pa Grape (cameo)
- Ma Grape (cameo)
- Tom Grape (cameo)
- Rosie Grape (cameo)
- The Peach (cameo)
- Jimmy Gourd
- Jerry Gourd
- Mr. Slushy (mentioned)
- Fibrilious Minimus (debut)
- Junior's teddy bear (Mr. Snuggly) (debut)
- Junior Asparagus
- Unnamed asparagus daugther (debut, picture only)
- Laura Carrot
- Art Bigotti (debut, picture/mentioned)
- Dad Asparagus
- The Scallions (cameos)
- Unnamed I.R.S. agent (cameo)
- blue plastic wind-up lobster (cameo)
- Phil Winklestein (cameo)
- Lenny Carrot
- The Peach (cameo)
- Unnamed female and male asparagus (debut)
- The Cow (debut)
- Dad Pea (cameo)
- Nebby K. Nezzer (cameo)
- Mom Asparagus
- Red Fib (debut, endding only)
- Asparagus singers (music video only)
- Billboard lemon (debut, music video only)
- This is the first episode where they get emails from kids.
- This marks the last appearance for Rosie and the Peach.
- Larry-Boy claims he'll die if he crashes into the water tower.
- Larry-Boy is an obvious spoof to DC's Batman.
- Fans actually wrote letters to Big Idea saying that Larry was way too serious in this episode.
- There is a rare teaser of this show that's featured on the original 1999 A Very Silly Sing-Along! VHS copy.
- Ezzio, the name of the kid who sent Larry the E-Mail in the beginning of the show, is named after a real guy with the same name who was in Phil Vischer's youth group.
- Scooter was listening to I Can Be Your Friend, which that appeared in his debut episode.
- Larry states he's been stuck for 38 turns.
Real World ReferencesEdit
- The game Larry and Alfred were playing is Candyland.
- The Fib climbing the water tower and holding a small figure is a reference to the climax of King Kong.
- Jerry, in the laboratory scene, can be seen wearing Spock ears. Spock is a fictional character from the Sci-Fi television series Star Trek.
- When Larry-Boy accidentally knocks Alfred over, Alfred says "I've fallen, and I can't get up." This is a reference to a television commercial that ran in 1987 for a medical alarm and protection company called LifeCall, now called Life-Alert.
- At the end of the Larry-Boy Theme Song, Larry is seen dressed as J.J. from the 1974 television series Good Times and says his famous line, "Dino-mite!".
Directed by CHRIS OLSEN PHIL VISCHER
Produced by CHRIS OLSEN
Production Coordinator JENNIFER COMBS
Written by PHIL VISCHER
Storyboarding by LUIS CONTRERAS
Concept Art DANIEL LOPEZ MUNOZ JOSEPH SAPULICH
Matte Paintings JOSEPH SAPULICH
Character Voices DAN ANDERSON LESLY BENODIN KRISTIN BLEGEN TIM GREGORY NATALIA LOZANO MIKE NAWROCKI JIM POOLE LISA VISCHER PHIL VISCHER
Edited by MIKE NAWROCKI
Sound Effects Editor MIKE NAWROCKI
Modeling Supervisor DANIEL LOPEZ MUNOZ
Modeling Artists AARON HARTLINE ADAM HOLMES MIKE LAUBACH
Additional Modeling Artists CARA BUKOVSKI THOMAS DANEN ROBERT ELLIS JOE MCFADDEN RON SMITH
Layout Artist LUIS CONTRERAS
Animation Supervisor RON SMITH
Character Animators THOMAS DANEN ROBERT ELLIS JOE MCFADDEN LENA SPOKE
Additional Animation ADAM HOLMES NATHAN TUNGSETH
Lighting Artists CARA BUKOVSKI ADAM HOLMES MIKE LAUBACH
Effects Artists CARA BUKOVSKI ADAM HOLMES MIKE LAUBACH
Render Management KEN GREENE
Software Development KEN GREENE
Musical Score Composed And Produced by KURT HEINECKE
Audio Engineering MIKE NAWROCKI
Content Consultant SCOTTIE MAY Ed.D.
S.W.A.P JON GADSBY
Catering BILL HALJUN
Special Thanks To The Big Idea Family